Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day

The second Sunday of May is Mother's day in Honduras and the US. I was very fortunate this year to spend it with my mom and my kids- which is rare since mom lives in Honduras. It was such a great day in Cleveland *a bit chilly but nonetheless a good day. Great food and drinks compliments of my beautiful sister Thania. My kids woke me up with kisses, hugs and presents! My husband was very poetic in his card and I am a lucky person to have all the blessings I have.

Then as the day went on - things changed a bit. I found out my very good friend's mom passed away Saturday evening. He had just had his daughter (first one) a couple of weeks before and he had lost his sister about 8 years ago. I started to cry. It was almost like a dagger went through my heart to think about this sad moments for him (specially on Mother's Day!!). Why do things happen like that? Why so much happiness but then so much pain at the same time!?
I haven't stopped thinking about this (how I wish I could go and give him and his dad a hug). His mom was a fantastic lady. She was a constant presence at our high school, one that would take us kids to do community service. She was such a cool mom - always being more like a friend to everyone and being incredibly compassionate. We all lost a role model on Saturday and one that touched so many lives.
I haven't talked to her in such a long time, however we used to email back and forth shortly after her daughter passed away (that was another shock) which was around the same time my daughter was born. She was obviously grieving but she still took the time to wish me the best on my new endevour as a mom.

She left an impression on me in the way she lived her life as a mom and wife. My friend had the best mom he could ever have and she will now be their angel and hopefully guidance on his new journey as a dad. I pray that you focus in celebrating her life and while we want to be selfish and have her here with us, remember that a piece of her is in you and in your daughter.

My lesson? Live in the now and make NOW the best of it.

It was still a nice day for us and we got the chance to spend it together while enjoying great food, flowers and each other. Here are some pictures of our day in Cleveland.

No comments: